Bookplates!

Filed under Arts and Crafts, Books

d18135e465814da09ab0a6cfc3399e07_7

So, if you read Daniel’s blog, you probably already know that we moved in together. The decision was made quickly, with all the requisite naiveté of people our age, and I don’t think we could be happier about it. From day one, Daniel and I had been pretty much living together anyway, just without the legitimacy of a name on the lease and a rent check. It seemed only a matter of time before this insane step took place. Although we shacked up relatively quickly (faster than a pair of lesbians, as a lesbian friend of mine noted), we tried to come at the situation with the proper amount of level-headedness. We discussed various ways in which we might instate some kind of insurance policy, just in case one of us turned out to be a closeted ax murderer or rabid Justin Bieber fan (whoops, too late!). We ultimately rejected the more sane route of me subletting my apartment and opted instead for something much more satisfying. BOOKPLATES!

Daniel has an impressive collection of books and I have an even more impressive, bordering on hoarder-level, collection of books. With our sometimes overlapping tastes, many of these books overlap as well. We decided that, short of drafting some sort of non-marriage prenuptial agreement, the only responsible thing to do was to make cute little bookplates.

The bookplates, which I designed in Photoshop are 2.5×3 inches and were printed on lovely, cream-colored label sheets from Paper Source. I got the vintage woodcut images from this Flickr stream. Paper Source provides pretty simple Word/Pages/InDesign templates on their website, so it was a simple matter of cutting, pasting, and printing the labels and then putting them into our massive library of books. I feel so adult!

3ebbb1e87c8349a290f6c8957a4ee3e7_7

050b709763144f569082b632c5959b18_7

826b27dba3cd47cfb0703473819bbe01_7

caf809880bfe4a279f4a9d990590a10b_7

14 Comments

1. Posted August 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

As someone who has scoped out bookplates on and off for years on Etsy, never to my satisfaction, this post has been a massive “NO DUH”: of COURSE I should make my own bookplates! Though I doubt my efforts would be quite so snazzy as yours. Beautiful work!

Also: very good insurance policy.

2. Posted August 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Man, these really are brilliant. I love everything about them. I want some dinosaur ones

3. Posted August 7, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Congratulations on moving in together! I went the other route – string of fuck buddies in my 20s, waiting until I was 30 to move in with the love of my life. There’s no right way to do these things. :)

I love those bookplates. When I’m rich, I will pay you to design my entire life.

4. Posted August 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

OH MY GOD these are amazing!!! make me some!!!!!

5. Posted August 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

These are somehow very Rushmore (the movie). I mean that in the best of ways! Just lovely.

6. Posted August 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Max… new reader here via Manhattan Nest (sort of a new reader there too)… Congrats on your move. I might be doing the same move soon with my guy…

7. AnnW
    Posted August 10, 2011 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Love these! Why don’t you make a few for your new blog followers. I will pay you nicely. No snakes though. I need to mark my books that I want to keep, so people in my family won’t lend out my good books. The ones I get in thrift stores are probably okay to lend. How about a post on what you collect? Ann

8. Posted August 10, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I agree with Danielle. I want you to design my entire life. I LOVE THESE!!!

9. Querencia
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

It’s sweet that book plates as separation insurance are still matching. I knew I had taken the commitment plunge for the first time ever when I combined my media collection with my partner’s. Any fight could be quickly ended with a reminder to, “remember the CDs” all the books were, are, and will always be mine though but I still might need to make some of my own book plates after seeing these.

10. Anna
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Love, love, LOVE it! Genius!

What’s the font you’re using?

11. Maxwell
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I’m using Twentieth Century Bold. I’m pretty sure the font is generally regarded as the poor man’s Futura, but I like it.

12. Posted September 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Max, I need these, so does Emily. Please provide us with some post haste! I will be forever in your debt.

13. Peter
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Nifty, Thanks.

14. Posted September 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Lovely! I’m feeling inspired to make some of my own!